Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Lunar Eclipse 2010

Last nights eclipse was the first total lunar eclipse to occur on day of the Northern Winter Solstice (Southern Summer Solstice) since 1638, and only the second in the common era. (Thanks Wikipedia)
I set up my tripod,camera, and beer at around 11pm, hoping to capture it.
When I walked outside, it was clearer than I had seen it in weeks...and very cold. The shadow of the earth was about half way across the moon, it resembled a cresent moon. Unfortunatly I don't have state-of-the-art lunar eclipse catching equipment, but the images I did get I hope shall be sufficient for you fun lovin blog readers. In about 15-20 minutes, the shadow moved and completly covered the moon, and the lunar eclipse, a bright orange color, made the inner nerd in me giggle. It was extremly clear and very beautiful. The air was crisp, my fingers were ice, as I kept changing the settings on my camera, hoping I would stumble on the "eclipse" feature...

~~My first look, half way to the eclipse~~ 

~~Even though using a tripod, the San Andreas fault is working against me~~

~~You cannot tell, but trust me, only a sliver of the moon is left, the rays are amazing~~

~~One or two minutes shy of the big show~~

~~Total eclipse of the Moon. I know, very disspointing I couldn't capture it on my non-NASA camera~~

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing... we had clouds down here, so we missed out! :)

    ReplyDelete